Overhead Crane Online Course
With our Overhead Crane Online Course, you will learn:
- Demonstrate different types of Overhead Cranes
- Crane hazard awareness
- Crane inspections and Inspection Checklists
- Crane load tests
- Crane structure and components
- Emergency shut off and suspended controls
- Electrical systems
- Different warning labels
- Safe crane operations
- Rigging hardware and practices
Approximately 90 minutes
Testing conducted throughout this Overhead Crane Operator Training online course is designed to reinforce the information presented. A mark of 80% must be achieved to receive a certificate of completion. Participants are able to repeat the course two additional times if the pass mark of 80% is not achieved.
Certificate of Completion
Upon successful completion of this online course, a certificate of completion will be available to download and print.
General Safety Tips for Overhead Crane Training:
Before you move a load
- Make sure that all loose parts, blocking and packing are removed from the load before any lifting begins.
- Remove the slack from the sling and hoisting ropes before lifting any load.
- Ensure the lifting device is seated in the saddle of the hook.
- Confirm the load is not heavier that the maximum load capacity of the crane.
Moving loads safely
- Crane controls should move smoothly with no abrupt or sudden movements of the load.
- Only follow signals from the slinger in charge of the lift except a stop signal.
- Confirm all people are away from the load before hoisting.
- Always sound a bell, siren or other warning device and start to hoist slowly.
- Make sure nothing catches on the load while raising or traveling.
- Keep the load under control when lowering a load.
Before leaving the crane
- Remove any load that may be hanging on crane hooks.
- Raise any hooks to a mid height position.
- Place the crane at its designated location.
- Prior to closing down the main switch ensure all controllers are in the ‘off’ position.
What to avoid
- Never operate a crane if the limit switches are out of order or if cables show defects.
- Never lower the blocks below the point where less than two full wraps of cable remain on the drum.
- Never attempt to lift loads beyond the rated load capacity of a crane.
- Always centre the crane directly over the load before hoisting.
- Never allow anyone to ride on a load or hooks.
- Never leave slings hanging loosely from the load hook. Ensure sling hooks are placed on the sling ring when carrying slings to the load.
- Never raise loads higher than required to clear objects.
- Never carry a load over the top of workers.
- Never reverse the motor until the crane is at a complete except to avoid an accident.
- Never leave a suspended load unattended.
Click here for a general safety video for Overhead Cranes